Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Master Plan

Starting January 2nd I plan to blog through John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion. The character of these blogs has yet to be determined. Some might be simply reviews of the material, others may be more in depth. I do have a life and time (and the subject matter) will determine what might go into the post each day.

If you don't own a copy yourself you can read the Institutes here. (There are probably some better resources to read the Institutes but I'll leave that search to you) You will find the five-day-a-week reading schedule I will use here. I will attempt to blog according to these sections.

Without giving my schedule away to 'would-be' petty criminals, let me say that I will be in and out of the internets magic communication waves during the first week. So I might be a bit spotty but I will do my best.

I hope some of you might join me on this journey. I believe this to be one of the most important books written in the last 500 years. Whatever one's conclusions might be at the end of the reading they should take the time to interact with Calvin's work. This blog might provide the impetus or encouragement for you to do this. As Treebeard once said, "We might do some things together. I don't know about sides. I go my own way; but your way may go along with mine for a while."

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to your posts and will try to keep up with you as we go along. Are you going to use any resources (other than the Institutes)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill - Per you, I picked up Piety's Wisdom. I have Battles' Analysis, the Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes, and a couple more that are not with me at present that I hope will be helpful. But I'm not sure where I'm going to find all this time!

    ReplyDelete